How To Get Into Medical School In USA 2023 – Requirements, Acceptance Rate, Tuition And Duration
In this guide, we will be talking about how to get into medical school in USA; the requirements, acceptance rate, tuition and duration.
Planning on getting into a Medical School in the US and wondering how to go about it, the qualifications and all that it entails? I will be showing you all these and more in this piece.
Simply put, a medical school is a tertiary educational institution or a part of such that awards a professional degree to surgeons and physicians. It is a school that has a curriculum which leads to a medical degree.
William Shippen Jnr and John Morgan were the founders of the first medical school in the US in the year 1765. This later Metamorphosed into Perelman School of Medicine owned by the University of Pennsylvania. The Association of American Medical Colleges was formed in 1876, while the American Medical Association was formed in 1847.
Currently, there are 142 accredited medical schools in the United States. Some universities across the nation admit college students into their medical schools during college.
Generally, in the United States, admissions into medical schools are considered to be highly competitive. Only the best gets to make the cut. Medical degrees are considered as secondary degrees in the United States.
Do US Medical Schools Accept Non-US (International) Applicants?
US Medical schools receive thousands of applications every year, not only from US resident applicants but also from international students. It is very challenging to get admission to a US medical school with an undergraduate degree obtained from the US, not to mention the ones obtained from abroad. Many medical schools in the US do not accept non-US applicants. However, there are about 49 medical schools that do accept applications from international students. Some of them are;
- Chicago Medical School at Rosalind
- Howard University College of Medicine
- New York Medical College
- Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- John Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Michigan State University College of Human Medicine
- Boston University School of Medicine
- Duke University School of Medicine
- Yale School of Medicine
- Stanford University School of Medicine
- Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
Medical School Admission Requirements
Admission requirements for medical school sometimes may vary a little from school to school.
- However, the majority of the requirements are generic to a large extent. So what is the general entry requirement into medical schools in the US? Here we have them below;
- An high schools Diploma with excellent pass marks
- An undergraduate degree, preferably in the science field and from an Ivy college. These two factors will be quite advantageous in the admission process success
- A high GPA grade, minimum of 3.5 and above preferably
- Letter of Recommendation: Letter of Recommendation is required by all medical schools, as it reveals your values and personality. You need to have a minimum of 3 letters of recommendation from different sources. The sources may include your supervisors, professors, volunteer coordinators, and so on. It is recommended that you get the letters from mentors with which you have a strong bond, else you may get a letter that is so lackadaisically written it won’t fulfil the purpose for which it was written
- Extracurricular Evidence: This includes but is not limited to volunteering activities in high school and college. It would show your interest in serving others, your dedication and your selflessness in helping other people.
Another requirement is the TOELF Language Score. Listening, Reading, speaking and writing fluently is an important parts of the capacities you must possess to be considered for medical school. Your knowledge in this area must be advanced.
These are the requirements generally needed to enter a medical school in the US.
Acceptance Rate of Medical Schools in the US
The acceptance rate of the medical schools in the US is different from another, and this is not a surprise. The University of Tennessee Health care centre has the highest acceptance rate according to statistics gathered from credible research bodies. Its acceptance rate is 15.6%.
For the top 100 medical schools in the US, the average acceptance rate is 6.3%.
Overall, putting together all the stats from all the medical schools, the average acceptance rate for all the medical schools in the US is 41%.
Medical Schools In The US Tuition
Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons is the most expensive medical school in the United States with annual tuition of $66,257, followed by the Keck School of Medicine at USC with tuition at $64,132. Overall, the average tuition fee for medical schools all over the US is $37,556
The cheapest medical school in the US is the University of Texas Southwestern medical centre with tuition at $36,638. Actually, medical schools are very cheap in Texas compared to other places.
Medical School Study Duration
So how long does it take to study in a medical school for a medical student?
Typically, medical school studies take 4 years to complete. After these 4 years, students follow it with a postgraduate study where they focus on their area of speciality. The study takes between 2 to 5 years.
Best Medical Schools In The US
So which are the best medical schools in the US? Below we have a list of the best medical schools in the US
- Harvard University
- Columbia University
- Stanford University
- University of California, San Francisco
- Duke University
- John Hopkins University
- University of Washington
The Easiest Medical Schools In The US
That the best medical schools will be madly competitive to enter is not news. Everyone would like to have the best of all things, so it’s not a shock if the largest percentage of the applicants are selecting the best school of medicine available.
However, if you want a medical school that won’t give you as many difficulties to enter as the best ones, then here are some options for you. Medical schools are the easiest to get into.
- University of Massachusetts Medical School
- University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences
- University of Nevada Reno School of Medicine
- University of Oklahoma College of Medicine
- East Carolina University Brody School of Medicine
- University of Missouri Kansas City School of Medicine
These are some of the easiest medical schools to enter in the United States. If you are the type who wouldn’t want a lot of competition, who would like a medical school with a somehow easy admission pathway, then one of these options will be good for you. You may apply.
Final Words On How To Get Into Medical School
That is all about how to get into medical schools in the USA and all you need to get ready if you are seeking admission to any of the schools. Do well to share this piece for wider reach and benefits.
- Galen College Of Nursing – Acceptance Rate, Admission Requirements, Tuition, Application Process And Reviews
- Denver College Of Nursing – Acceptance Rate, Application Requirements, Tuition, Student Portal And Reviews
- Chamberlain College Of Nursing – Acceptance Rate, Admission Requirements, Tuition, Student Portal And Reviews
- Top 10 Real Estate Schools Online
- 10 Universities Offering Master’s Degree Online
- Top 10 Distance Learning Courses For Online Study
- 10 Best Free Online Classes For Adults You Probably Didn’t Know Exist