Extra Bank Holiday 2023 In UK
Are you searching online for the extra bank holiday in UK? This is for you! This article features a quick review on UK extra bank holiday. Keep reading!
We’re familiar with extra bank holidays in UK. As a matter of fact, England enjoys eight of them yearly including Christmas Day and Boxing Day.
From time to time, the nation goes on extra bank holiday to honor the memory of a royal occasion. Just like the last extra bank holiday of Prince William and Kate’s wedding in 2011.
The reason for this year’s extra bank holiday is in memory of the Queen’s Coronation (Platinum Jubilee). The Platinum Jubilee celebrates the queen’s 70 years on the throne. As we know, Queen Elizabeth II was coronated on the 2nd of June, 1952, after the passing of Father George VI.
Queen Elizabeth II is the UK’s longest serving monarch. She has exceeded her great-great grandmother Victoria’s reign who served for 63 years and seven months (1837 – 1901).
When Is UK’s Extra Bank Holiday 2023?
The extra bank holiday in celebration of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee is Friday, 3rd of June. The government has confirmed the extra public holiday which will result to a long weekend in the month of June.
This extra bank holiday affected the May Day holiday which is usually held on the first Monday in May. But it has now been moved to Thursday 2nd of June. Hence, creating a four-day weekend for the occasion.
Extra Bank Holiday Events
The four-days bank holiday events are as follows:
Thursday, 2nd of June 2023
- The Queen’s Birthday Parade (known as Trooping of the Colour) will take place. The yearly parade returns for 2023 with military personal, musicians and the traditional Royal Air Force (RAF) flypast.
- Platinum Jubilee Beacons: This involves the Commemorative lighting of beacon throughout the United Kingdom, Channel Islands, Isle of Man and UK Overseas Territories.
Friday, 3rd of June 2023
- Thanksgiving Service: A special thanksgiving service will take place at St Paul’s Cathedral to give thanks to God for the Queen and her reign.
Saturday, 4th of June 2023
- The Epsom Derby: The Queen and other members of the Royal family will attend the Epsom Derby.
- Platinum Party at the Palace: A special live broadcasting concert from Buckingham Palace with global music and entertainment stars performing in celebration of the Queen’s Jubilee. More details will be released soon concerning the party, this will also involve how the public can secure tickets.
Sunday, 5th of June 2023
- The Big Jubilee Lunch: This event involves different communities taking the jubilee celebrations and decorations into their street and garden parties.
- The Platinum Jubilee Pageant: This involves 5,000 artists, actors and performers across the country which will feature in a pageant staged around Buckingham Palace and environs.
Further events are expected to be announced shortly.
Final Words On UK Extra Bank Holiday 2023
Queen Elizabeth II will celebrate her Platinum Jubilee with an extra bank holiday. Along with the holiday, the Queen will give city status to more towns across the UK.
Was this information useful to you? Read similar posts recommended for you below.